This weekend I had an opportunity to make memories for 11 truly amazing students. In the middle of all the stress and excitement, I learned a few things.
- If your school doesn’t have a Beta Club, or if your, Beta Club isn’t active, it is time to get it moving. Beta Club is a national honor service organization that brings together those students that excel academically. I know many of us think that those kids don’t need motivation but they do need acceptance from their peers. Beta Club can provide that. Beta club (link) was founded 80 years ago. Their motto is “Let us lead by serving others.”
- Even “over achievers” have feelings of inadequacy. Just because they get high marks academically doesn’t mean they see themselves as worthy of praise.
- There is more to life than a GPA. Service opportunities allow students to see the value in giving back voluntarily.
- Extracurricular activities give students a chance to apply what they’ve been taught in the classroom. You might just be amazed at what they can achieve.
- Extracurricular activities fuels the passion in our students.
- Memories last a life time. This weekend created memories that will last forever. These wonderful kids have something special that they will talk about at their reunions.
If you aren’t involved in any extracurricular activities in your school, I suggest you make the step to get involved. I may not earn money sponsoring Beta Club, but I get to watch the hope for our future grow and move into the “real world” with pride. And that is priceless.